Staying fit and active helps your child control his or her diabetes, and properly formed healthy habits of regular physical activity will serve in the long run. From taking stairs instead of elevators, to engaging in active sports, there are a variety of ways to incorporate physical activity into your child’s routine.
The following resources will be helpful for you to navigate exercise, sports and coaches for your child with type 1 diabetes:
- Diabetes Medical Management Plan
- Physical Activity For Children With Type 1 Diabetes
- Things I’ve Learned From Playing Sports With Type 1 Diabetes
- When Kids With Diabetes Exercise
- Sports and Type 1 Diabetes
- A Coach’s Guide to Type 1 Diabetes
- Start Working Out With T1D
- T1D Workout Basics
- Diabetes and Sport
- Please note, this resource comes from the UK and they talk about blood glucose in terms of mmol/l, which is different than in the US. Do not rely on this resource for blood glucose calculations.